Categories

Posts in this category

Tue, 02 Dec 2014

A new Perl 6 community server - update

Permanent link

In my previous post I announced my plans for a new Perl 6 community server (successor to feather.perl6.nl), and now I'd like to share some updates.

Thanks to the generosity of the Perl 6 community, the server has been ordered and paid. I am now in the process of contacting those donors who haven't paid yet, leaving them the choice to re-purpose their pledge to ongoing costs (traffic, public IPv4 addresses, domain(s), SSL certs if necessary) and maintenance, or withdraw their pledges.

Some details of the hardware we'll get:

• CPU: Intel® Xeon® Haswell-EP Series Processor E5-2620 v3, 2.40 GHz, 6-Core Socket 2011-3, 15MB Cache
  • RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 DDR4 PC2133 Reg. ECC 2R
  • HD: 2x 2TB SATA3-HD

The vendor has told me that all parts have arrived, and will be assembled today or tomorrow.

Currently I lean towards using KVM to create three virtual hosts: one for websites (*.perl6.org, perlcabal.syn), one for general hacking and IRC activity, and one for high-risk stuff (evalbots, try.rakudo.org, ...).

I've secured the domain p6c.org (for "perl 6 community"), and the IPv4 range 213.95.82.52 - 213.95.82.62 and the IPv6 net 2001:780:101:ff00::/64.

So the infrastructure is in place, now I'm waiting for the delivery of the hardware.

[/perl-6] Permanent link